Monday, February 8, 2016

Thurston Moore: An Essay


I have very mixed feelings about Thurston Moore. On one hand, I have a deep admiration for him. He is the coolest. He’s published poetry. In interviews he is completely charming and cool and collected, kind of in a manner where he knows he’s being so. On the other hand he cheated on Kim Gordon (his ex-wife, and Sonic Youth member). I know I should not base my feeling on him around something that happened in his personal life, because it is none of my business, but it is so hard not to. Especially after reading her book, Girl in a Band, in which she gives very riveting details about the end of their marriage and the end of Sonic Youth. Basically, he cheated for a good period of time with a woman that Kim definitely never ever liked that he was working on some book project with. I feel guilty reading her book, because I loved reading all the dirt on him, in the same way people enjoy any type of gossip. Mostly on the nosey-ness hidden deep within us that we try to repress. In the end of the book Kim said that she feel sorry for him, but does not forgive him. I called Thurston an asshole in my last zine, which I kind of feel bad about, but also don't because that article was about Kim Gordon, and looking from her perspective he probably is.

Kim exposes so much of Thurston in the book it is almost hard to look at him after. She uses the word narcissistic and rock star showboating. And describes him as stubborn and non-confrontational.  And says he views his post-divorce life as being free. He is kind of the reason Sonic Youth broke up. There is never going to be a reunion tour. She talks about him hiding himself, and why she thought she knew his so well and could trust him. Maybe marriage introduces a sense of domesticity that can cause a loss of creativity. I can only imagine how devastating the news of Kim and Thurston's divorce must have been for those die hard Sonic Youth fans. They were so re-closed in Western Mass and were a solid institution for so long that the thought of them splitting probably never crossed the minds of most people.

He seems like a happy person. Why wouldn't he be? He's known worldwide as a guitar legend. He's make a living off art. He has good taste and he knows it. He has put a lot of thought in his rock and roll strategy. He knows his art and facts. I feel like he would know more about any topic than I would. Not in a condescending way, just in a way where he really enjoys art and wants to know everything about it and be able to let you all about it. Intense, wild loves music, not in just a playing sense, put a deep appreciation. Some musicians say they don't listen to music that much, but Thurston probably does. He's an avid record collector.

His solo music, especially his most recent album, The Best Day, is pretty good. It is defiantly is not as experimental, but it has the aura of a guitar great. At what point does someone who has spent so long trying to be experimental and different just kind of throw in the towel and make music that doesn't require as much of an active listener? When that band you were in for over 20 years is over? When you are recently divorced and have that post-divorce middle age reborn glow? When you have garnered enough respect amongst the whole musical world to last the rest of your life? Probably all the above. He has worked hard and feels he deserves to keep doing music and enjoy his life as a rock legend and have people pay attention to whatever he does. I feel like any form of art requires some sort of ego. Just the sheer fact that you would feel the need to share what you have to say or made with others must mean you think it is pretty good. I feel like Thurston Moore is an artist because he feels like others should hear what he has to say.



"Benediction" is my favorite song of Thurson's. It burns so bad that they lived so close to me for so long and I never cared, I only started caring about Sonic Youth in 2015. The video above is from a festival in New Hampshire, not far from where I'm from.


No comments:

Post a Comment